Sunday, February 7, 2010

A rumination on life

This past week two people passed away;

My grandfather (technically my great-uncle, but in my culture there's no concept of that). He passed away of a heart attack only a half-hour or so after having a long conversation with my aunt over the phone. They buried him on Tuesday and his funeral was very heart warming.

My physics teacher's dad passed away on Monday of terminal cancer. He was ill for a year and a half. My teacher still came to school oddly. :/ I feel really bad for him, especially since I sort of know what he's going through.

Just made me think about how we really don't know when we're going to die. How we say to enjoy every day as if it were our last and then end up going out and doing frivolous things. And even if we DO want to change the world for the better, we set our goals until after we get that college degree, or after we get that promotion. We should be setting daily goals to change people's lives and the world around us. We won't ever be remembered for what we planned on doing in 10 years. We'll be remembered for what we did in the past 10 years. I don't want to be a hero, I just want people to come to my funeral and say, "She had a good heart, and that was all that mattered."

Something to lighten the mood:
Cute chinese/korean boys rapping (in mandarin?) and dancing. Can't say no to that, can ya?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry about your "grandfather". All my wises go to you & your family for your loss. =/

    ---
    & on more lighter tones: You've heard of Super Junior? Are you serious? Haha, I come from a 100% Chinese/Asian family so we get some Chinese shows and they're on like, a lot. It's kind of weird how the whole Asian area is like - going through this boy band phase like we did years ago with the whole NSYNC and Backstreet Boys thing. Haha.

    Anyway, sorry for the long comment.

    So sorry about your uncle.

    <3,
    Candice

    ReplyDelete